This was a viola where the pegs were originally lined up incorrectly. The "D" and the "G" strings rubbed on the other pegs. To correct this problem, the "A" peg was moved down 2mm and the "D" peg was moved up 2mm. First the boxwood bushings were fitted, then the outside faces were carefully made flush with the peg box. Then the new holes were drilled and the pegs were fitted. Then there was a slight amount of varnish touch up to make the boxwood a matching color to the original varnish.
IMG 20151230 120306 IMG 20160107 171659
Here is a violin that had a very old style friction peg, plus it had previously had geared pegs installed. The holes needed to be bushed with a spiral bushing and then some new pegs installed.
IMG 20160229 113407 IMG 20160314 110831 IMG 20160322 103230 IMG 20160404 122912
A customer brought in a cello where the "D" peg was solidly glued together. It would not turn. I managed to get it out of the peg box. Since she wanted the pegs to match, I looked around and found that same style old peg. They are a mixture of metal and plastic with a bushing that's similar to the Caspari style. I installed the used page but about a week later it started to fail.
I took it apart and realized that the plastic part of the peg was slipping aghenst the metal part of the peg. There are fine slots on the metal and plastic that when engagued don't slip. In this case the plastic slots were stripped out.
I took the peg apart and carefully glued it back together. Here are a couple of photos.
IMG 20220124 115654 344 IMG 20220125 101401 513 | |
| || || |