When I first looked at this violin, I thought the end block was just split in half and I would be able to repair it without taking the top off. Once I started working on it and had the saddle removed, I could tell that it was broken into 4 pieces. I needed to remove the top.
Here are a few photos, the ribs were also a bit warped so I needed to glue in small sections and that one piece of wood was used to push it out a little bit until it dried. Oops, I don't have a photo of the how the bottom bouts looked when it was finished.<https://a.cs-violin-shop.com/p>
IMG 20211028 155123 410
IMG 20220126 121202 390
IMG 20220126 122213 697
IMG 20220212 155952 660
IMG 20220217 141914 268
IMG 20220225 175218 656
This is a violin that was made by my customers father, so there is a lot of sentimental value. Usually I can glue ribs back onto the ribs and sometimes repair a broken block without taking the instrument apart. In this case since the ribs were unglued and the block was broken, I needed to take the top off to repair the block and reglue the ribs.
It was split so cleanly through the pin hole I was concerned it would fracture on th next grain to the left, or right.
I took my Dremel tool and cut a line, perpendicular to the grain on the top and bottom of the block.
I used pv glue (please forgive me) and inserted tapered lining strips.
Thought being that the long grain, at right angles to the block, will help hold things together. Maybe it was overkill but if it works as I hope, the Wife will be happy till I die.
All my best,